Medical Assisting - MA 175
Medical Laboratory Techniques
3 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours1 Laboratory Hours
This course will provide an opportunity for the student to practice techniques to perform laboratory procedures. The student will practice preparing the patient for tests, collecting samples, completing the tests and reporting the results to the physician. The student will practice laboratory procedures such as urinalysis, hematology, bacteriology, chemistries and patient preps. Note: Students must begin MA 196 within six months of completing MA 175 and MA 180.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- HIT 104 with a minimum grade of 2.0.
- MA 115 with a minimum grade of 2.0.
- MA 140 with a minimum grade of 2.0.
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Utilize laboratory medical terminology.
- Incorporate all forms of safety practices in the laboratory.
- Differentiate between normal and abnormal test results.
- Utilize a microscope.
- Name the basic parts of a microscope.
- Collect hematology, chemistry, immunology, urinalysis and microbiology specimens.
- Assemble test results using flow sheets.
- Justify accuracy of test results to patient.
- Evaluate the work environment for unsafe working conditions.
- Complete Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) waived hematology, chemistry, immunology, urinalysis and microbiology studies.
- Apply the basic principles of quality control used in a medical laboratory in all laboratory testing.
- Recognize implications for failure to comply with Center for Disease Control regulations.
- Perform quality control checks on testing equipment.
- Participate in blood borne pathogen training.
- Explain the proper preparation of patients for specific lab tests.
- Apply infection control and safety precautions at all times.
| ||175||245651||Med Lab Techniques||HYBRC||3||Donahee-Rader M||12/18/0||Open||$12.00||T 01:30 PM-04:24 PM RC245
| ||175||215606||Med Lab Techniques||RC||3||Donahee-Rader M||9/12/0||Open||$12.00||W 10:00 AM-11:34 AM RC245
W 11:35 AM-12:54 PM RC110
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday