Medical Assisting - MA 115
3 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours1 Laboratory Hours
This course teaches basic technical skills necessary for a phlebotomist to draw blood in various healthcare settings such as hospital labs, doctors’ offices and clinics. Proper procedures are stressed for the safe collection and handling of clinical specimens obtained by venipuncture or capillary puncture from adults, children and infants. This course also defines the role of the phlebotomist in the healthcare setting.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Perform quality checks of medical equipment.
- Apply professional behavior in personal and patient interactions.
- Demonstrate infection control at all times.
- Apply safety precautions using personal protection equipment, handwashing, body mechanics, safe working conditions, following safety symbols/signs/labels and proper disposal of waste.
- Classify the types of patient specimens that are analyzed in the clinical laboratory.
- Demonstrate the concepts of effective communication.
- Assess the criteria for suitability of each specimen.
- Evaluate the veins of the arms and hands used to perform phlebotomy.
- Utilize collection equipment.
- Summarize the various types of anticoagulants used, special precautions necessary and substances that can interfere in clinical analysis of blood constituents.
- Perform venipuncture with both the vacutainer and butterfly systems.
- Perform capillary punctures.
- Apply the Patient's Bill of Rights.
- Complete an incident report.
- Assist the patient in understanding the accuracy of the test results.
- Conform to Center for Disease Control regulations.
- Recognize the implications of not complying with Center for Disease Control regulations.
- Demonstrate "protective practices."
| ||115||245612||Phlebotomy||HYBRC||3||Donahee-Rader M||6/18/0||Open||$124.00||R 09:00 AM-11:54 AM WEBWEB
R 09:00 AM-11:54 AM RC110
| ||115||245654||Phlebotomy||HYBRC||3||Donahee-Rader M||4/18/0||Open||$124.00||T 06:00 PM-08:00 PM WEBWEB
T 08:00 PM-08:54 PM RC110
| ||115||215607||Phlebotomy||RC||3||Donahee-Rader M||9/12/0||Open||$124.00||R 10:00 AM-11:34 AM RC245
R 11:35 AM-12:54 PM RC110
| ||115||215656||Phlebotomy||RC||3||Donahee-Rader M||0/12/0||Closed||$124.00||M 06:00 PM-07:34 PM RC245
M 07:34 PM-08:54 PM RC110
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday