Medical Assisting - MA 140
Medical Office Procedures
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This course will focus on the basic concepts in the professional practice of medicine and the role and function of the medical assistant. The course introduces personal and professional characteristics and legal and ethical standards for the medical assistant. Professional and personal communications, time management and workplace dynamics will be studied. This course addresses administrative skills necessary for the medical assistant.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Utilize effective communication.
- Apply all legal implications of a medical assistant.
- Organize the office to include adapting to minor emergencies and the prevention of disruption of the work routine.
- Perform all aspects of patient scheduling including procedures, routine and referrals with sensitivity.
- Screen patient's need for an appointment using established protocols.
- Perform routine "administrative functions," such as but not limited to inventory and maintenance of equipment.
- Apply both sensitivity and ethical considerations in all communications.
- Use proper body mechanics.
- Assess the importance of reimbursement in the practice of medicine.
- Identify the workplace traits of a successful Medical Assistant.
- Perform "basic practice finances," including but not limited to posting charges, payments and adjustments.
- Interpret the computer/electronic medical record.
- Summarize confidentiality and right to privacy as they relate to medical records including HIPAA.
- Perform third party reimbursement activities.
| ||140||227803||Medical Office Proc||Hybrid||3||Hoffman D||31/31/0||Open||$12.00||W 09:00 AM-12:54 PM RC480
| ||140||215612||Medical Office Proc|| ||3||Hoffman D||10/31/0||Open||$12.00||T 04:00 PM-05:24 PM RC480
T 05:30 PM-06:54 PM RC410
| ||140||217821||Medical Office Proc||Hybrid||3||Donahee-Rader M / Hoffman D||7/31/0||Open||$52.00||W 09:30 AM-10:54 AM RC480
W 11:00 AM-12:24 PM RC410