Physical Education - PE 212
Applied Exercise Physiology
3 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours1 Laboratory Hours
This course will introduce the student through lecture and practical demonstration how to integrate exercise physiology, personal assessment data, exercise technique, standardized exercise guidelines and client goals into appropriate individual and group workout program designs across multiple fitness populations. Health behavior change models and interview and counseling techniques will be presented to help facilitate instructor-client communications.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Perform health risk-factor analysis utilizing the medical history questionnaire and member/client interview responses.
- Determine when a Physician Clearance form is required.
- Teach the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) exercise guidelines for apparently healthy adults.
- Utilize member/client assessment data and interview responses to create an individualized exercise program that achieves member/client goals.
- Determine appropriate exercise selection across multiple fitness populations.
- Teach members/clients how to self-assess when exercise intensity and program design needs to be changed.
- Provide basic nutrition guidance to members/clients within the scope of practice.
- Identify appropriate compensatory strategies to health behavior change that may promote member/client adherence to their exercise program.
- Identify "best practice" interview and counseling techniques to improve communication with members/clients.
- Explore various health behavior change models.
- Differentiate the cycles within a periodization program structure for a sports training regimen.
- Describe key factors in the training program design targeting aerobic power.
- Describe key factors in the training program design targeting anaerobic power.
- Describe how the muscular conditioning program design targets muscle fiber types.
- Describe standard training protocols for improving flexibility.
| ||212||115912||Appl Exer Physiol||MC||3||Papineau M||9/12/0||Open||$47.00||M W 09:30 AM-10:56 AM PE105
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday