Culinary Arts - CUL 125
Pastries 1 (1-5) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course will teach students all the necessary procedures and principles in the art of creating and producing many variations of beginning pastries. Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to use measuring equipment and understand equivalents and conversions; understand and know proper usage of baking and pastry terminology; properly use hand tools and machinery; regulate and use an oven properly; understand health, safety and sanitation of work areas; make pies, puddings, pastries, cakes and tortes.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Utilize basic pastry terminology, formulas and abbreviations, as well as basic technical information on bakery and pastry science.
- Employ good sanitary practices.
- Handle tasks in an organized manner.
- Prepare crème brûlée.
- Prepare cream caramel.
- Produce caramelized sugar.
- Arrange an organized work station.
- Perform basic bakery mathematics.
- Prepare bread pudding.
- Prepare butter doughs.
- Prepare pie doughs.
- Produce baked pies.
- Produce unbaked pies.
- Produce pie fillings.
- Prepare frangipane cream filling.
- Produce almond tarts.
- Produce meringues.
- Produce cream fillings for pies.
- Produce tarts.
- Produce pâte à choux.
- Produce puff pastry.
- Produce pastry cream.
- Demonstrate proper use of various hand tools for pastry making.
- Demonstrate appropriate knife skills.
- Produce chiffon sponge batter.
- Produce jaconde sponge using stencil techniques.
- Demonstrate the proper use of major pieces of pastry machinery.
- Prepare jaconde sponge.
- Construct contemporary Bavarian cream tortes.
- Demonstrate the proper storage and process fresh fruit.
- Produce crumb crusts.
- Produce cheese cakes.
| ||125||143725||Pastries 1|| ||3||Decker J||$521.00||3/16/0||Open||T W R F 06:00 AM-10:25 AM VT645
| ||125||143733||Pastries 1|| ||3||Decker J||$521.00||5/16/0||Open||T W R F 06:00 AM-10:25 AM VT645
| ||125||143703||Pastries 1|| ||3||Decker J||$521.00||0/16/0||Closed||T W R F 06:00 AM-10:25 AM VT645
| ||125||113703||Pastries 1|| ||3||Decker J||$521.00||7/10/0||Open||T W R F 06:00 AM-10:25 AM VT645
| ||125||113724||Pastries 1|| ||3||Decker J||$521.00||1/9/0||Open||T W R F 06:00 AM-10:25 AM VT645
| ||125||113733||Pastries 1|| ||3||Decker J||$521.00||1/10/0||Open||T W R F 06:00 AM-10:25 AM VT645