Culinary Arts - CUL 103
Introduction to Professional Cooking Skills and Technique (1-4) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course will provide the aspiring chef a broad orientation to the culinary industry so that they will better understand what is required to succeed. Emphasis for discussion will be on professionalism, safety and sanitation standards, equipment identification, identification of food products, knife handling skills and a basic understanding of stock making and basic cooking techniques. Students will be required to purchase an initial set of hand tools for skills development. Students must receive an overall GPA of 2.5 to pass the class, as well as pass the final practical with a minimum of 2.5.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Examine the aspects of what it takes to be a chef.
- Explain basic sanitation and safety guidelines as they apply to the food industry.
- Perform basic cooking techniques.
- Demonstrate proper knife skills.
- Demonstrate proper use of kitchen equipment.
- Differentiate between the standard food products found in a culinary kitchen.
- Produce classical knife cuts.
- Produce brown veal stock.
- Produce white chicken stock.
- Differentiate fresh herbs.
- Differentiate dry spices.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of Culinary Arts Department operations.
- Identify the major pieces of smallwares used in a culinary kitchen.
- Identify the major pieces of culinary kitchen equipment.
- Explain the uses of major pieces of culinary kitchen equipment.
| ||103||127825||Intro Prof Cook Skills||Hybrid||4||Musto S||$200.00||24/24/0||Open||M T W R F 02:00 PM-09:20 PM VT690
| ||103||127823||Intro Prof Cook Skills||Hybrid||4||Musto S||$200.00||24/24/0||Open||M T W R F 08:00 AM-03:20 PM VT690
| ||103||137821||Intro Prof Cook Skills||Hybrid||4||Musto S||$200.00||24/24/0||Open||M T W R F 08:00 AM-03:20 PM VT690
| ||103||137824||Intro Prof Cook Skills||Hybrid||4||Musto S||$200.00||24/24/0||Open||M T W R F 08:00 AM-03:20 PM VT690
| ||103||117825||Intro Prof Cook Skills||Hybrid||4||Loving S / Musto S||$200.00||5/24/0||Open||R 04:15 PM-08:45 PM VT620
S 08:00 AM-01:30 PM VT690