Pharmacy Technician - PHT 122
Advanced Pharmacy Practice
4 Credit Hours4 Lecture Hours
This advanced level pharmacy technician course will provide pharmacy technician students with a deeper understanding of the dynamic healthcare environment and the opportunities for pharmacy technicians within this environment. Major trends, issues, goals and initiatives taking place in healthcare and the pharmacy profession will be presented and discussed. Supervisory methods, such as motivational theory, conflict management and human resource management, will be discussed in order to prepare the student for next-level supervisory roles within any practice setting. Finally, students will be certified in Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers, which will round out their skill set for many advanced practice settings.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- PHT 102 with a minimum grade of 2.5.
- PHT 104 with a minimum grade of 2.5.
- PHT 114 with a minimum grade of 2.5 and PHT 116 with a minimum grade of 2.5 or PHT 124 with a minimum grade of 2.5 and PHT 126 with a minimum grade of 2.5.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explore current roles of pharmacy technicians in advanced practice settings.
- Examine current standards of the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) for the safe compounding of sterile compounded products.
- Examine current standards of the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) for managing hazardous substances.
- Describe major trends, issues, goals and initiatives taking place in healthcare and the pharmacy profession.
- Describe an Accountable Care Organization (ACO) and the payment model for effective quality management.
- Describe population health management and the role of the pharmacist and pharmacy technician in this process.
- Explain wellness promotion and disease prevention concepts.
- Describe medication reconciliation in the hospital setting.
- Describe the role of pharmacy technicians within a managed care organization.
- Describe an information technology team within the hospital setting.
- Apply the investigational drug process, medications being used in off-label indications and emerging drug therapies.
- Describe the handling, documenting and administration of immunizations and other injectable medications.
- Model medication therapy management and the pharmaceutical care model.
- Explain motivational theory that is utilized in managing and supervising other employees.
- Explain conflict management resolution and approaches to team management.
- Explore the role of human resource management as it relates to supervising other pharmacy technicians or employees.
- Examine supervisory skills related to human resource policies and procedures.
- Engage in professional organizations that advance the profession of pharmacy.
- Explain proficiency and recertification requirements of a pharmacy technician.
- Obtain certification as a Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday