Geography - GEOG 105
Earth Science for Elementary Teachers
4 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours2 Laboratory Hours
This course introduces earth science topics and integrates pedagogical methods appropriate for elementary school teachers. The course will help prospective teachers create a resource base of knowledge and activities for teaching earth science and develop teaching strategies based on how children learn science. Teaching strategies include inquiry-based strategies and active, cooperative and collaborative learning strategies. The course includes lecture, peer teaching, demonstrations and lesson plan development. This course requires all students must meet the requirements of a criminal background check.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the interrelationship of the hydrosphere, geosphere and the atmosphere.
- Explain Earth processes.
- Interpret geographical tools, such as maps, aerial photos and satellite images.
- Summarize the constructivist model applied to teaching elementary school grades.
- Acquire a resource base of lesson plans, activities and references to teach earth science at the elementary level.
- Demonstrate mastery of Michigan Curriculum Framework Science Content Benchmarks for Geosphere, Hydrosphere, Solar System and Atmosphere.
- Illustrate the active learning teaching strategy in the required peer teaching lessons.
- Explain the variable composition and temperature gradient for the four atmospheric layers.
- Summarize the importance of atmospheric processes for life on earth.
- Summarize the inputs and outputs of the Earth's energy budget.
- Explain weather processes and elements, including radiation, temperature, humidity, pressure and prevailing winds.
- Explain the spatial distribution of water on earth and the components of the hydrologic cycle.
- Explain the processes of geomorphology, including tectonic, fluvial and eolian processes.
- Investigate local hydrology by working in teams to perform field work in a local stream.
- Analyze the components of a Geographic Information System.
| ||105||144707||Earth Sc Elem Teach||RMT||4||Low B||9/24/0||Open||$140.00||T R 01:00 PM-03:26 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday