Fire Technology - FIRE 207
Fire Company Officer (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
It is essential that Fire Company Officers be well versed in the areas of management, leadership and human relations. This course will examine the skills required to function as a Fire Company Officer. Students will cover both traditional and contemporary methods of supervision, planning, staffing and training. The course objectives will parallel NFPA 1021, Fire Officer Professional Qualifications. Combined with the knowledge of essential fire fighting skills, this course provides students with the competencies required for a first-line fire company officer.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Interpret the role of the company officer within the organization.
- Classify the duties and responsibilities of a company officer.
- Identify the strategies for success as a company officer.
- Explain the difference between leadership and management.
- Outline the functions of management.
- Explain the need for effective personal communications.
- Explore the management of human resources, time, and financial resources of a fire department.
- Identify the training and educational needs for fire company members.
- Determine the company officer’s role in maintaining fire company readiness.
- Explain the principles of administrative law pertaining to a company officer’s actions.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.