Fire Technology - FIRE 101
Principles of Emergency Services
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This course provides an overview to fire protection and emergency services, career opportunities in fire protection and related fields. The culture and history of emergency services is explored. Students will learn to analyze fire loss. The organization and function of public and private fire protection services are examined. Fire departments as part of local government are examined as well as the laws and regulations affecting the fire service. Fire service nomenclature, specific fire protection functions, basic fire chemistry and physics are explored. Fire protection systems, fire strategy and tactics and life safety initiatives are examined.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Illustrate the history and culture of the fire service.
- Analyze the basic components of fire as a chemical chain reaction, the major phases of fire, and examine the main factors that influence fire spread and fire behavior.
- Differentiate between fire service training and education.
- Explain the value of higher education to the professionalization of the fire service.
- Describe the major organizations that provide emergency response service and illustrate how they interrelate.
- Identify fire protection and emergency-service careers in both the public and private sector.
- Identify the role of national, State and local support organizations in fire and emergency services.
- Describe the scope, purpose and organizational structure of fire and emergency services.
- Describe the common types of fire and emergency service facilities, equipment and apparatus.
- Compare effective management concepts for various emergency situations.
- Identify the primary responsibilities of fire prevention personnel including code enforcement, public information and public and private protection systems.
- Identify the components of career preparation and goal setting.
- Describe the importance of wellness and fitness as it relates to emergency services.
| ||101||112714||Prin of Emerg Svcs||ONL||3||Carroll L||21/31/0||Open||$12.00||
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday