Education-Early Childhood Education - ECE 135
Preschool Education with Field Experiences
5 Credit Hours4 Lecture Hours1 Off-site Hours with Faculty4 Off-site Hours without Faculty
This course is designed to assist students in knowing and understanding the characteristics and needs of the preschool child and methods by which they are met. There will be a focus on stages of development and typical behaviors. Students will use their own knowledge and other resources to design, implement and evaluate meaningful, challenging curriculum for children. Students will have a 60 hour field experience working directly with preschool children. Michigan Central Registry Clearance by the Michigan Department of Human Services and a current TB test are required for this course. This course requires all students must meet the requirements of a criminal background check.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Build meaningful curriculum for preschool children.
- Demonstrate appropriate teaching skills.
- Reflect on one's own teaching practices.
- Implement meaningful curriculum for preschool children.
- Outline the Child Protection Law and Mandated Reporting of Suspected Abuse and Neglect.
- Practice a variety of observational techniques.
- Outline an environment that is secure yet stimulating for preschool children.
- Identify safety hazards in the early education environment.
- Demonstrate the early childhood techniques which promote children's positive self-concepts, independence, responsibility and social competence.
- Exercise professionalism.
- Critique each educational environment on curriculum, teaching methods, environment, program components and practices.
- Compare teaching styles observed in early childhood classrooms.
- Employ effective teamwork skills within the preschool environment.
- Incorporate the central concepts and inquiry tools in the curriculum areas of language and literacy, dance/drama, visual arts, math, science, physical activity and social studies for activities appropriately developed for preschool children.
- Share appropriate content and developmental knowledge with families.
| ||135||110301||Preschool Field Exp||RMT||5||Couture D||11/20/0||Open||$52.00||M W 11:30 AM-01:24 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday