Communication Arts - COMA 200
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This course lays the foundation for understanding interpersonal communication in personal, professional and social situations. Topics include, but are not limited to, nonverbal communication, perception of self and others, conflict management, listening skills, social media and interpersonal communication, construction of messages using appropriate language, relationships, the role of gender, and communication ethics. Students will explore interpersonal concepts through a variety of strategies and techniques which may include group work, individual presentations, personal reflections and essays that will enhance their understanding of interpersonal communication.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Examine interpersonal communication and its foundation components.
- Analyze characteristics of nonverbal communication.
- Demonstrate effective listening skills.
- Analyze conflict management techniques.
- Analyze the role of conflict management in improving interpersonal communication.
- Analyze the impact of social media on interpersonal relationships and communication.
- Evaluate the impact of gender and culture on interpersonal communication.
- Determine how perception of self and others affects communication.
- Construct messages in verbal and written communications within a variety of contexts and channels.
- Accurately interpret interpersonal messages (nonverbal, verbal and written).
- Examine the impact of emotional competence on personal and professional relationships.
- Differentiate communication codes of ethics from the various communication disciplines (e.g., journalism, public relations, etc.,).
- Explain the characteristics of competent communicators.
| ||200||141125||Interpersonal Comm||RMT||3||Taracuk D||2/24/0||Open||$12.00||T R 02:00 PM-03:26 PM WEBWEB
| ||200||111154||Interpersonal Communication||RMT||3||Kasle S||20/26/0||Open||$12.00||W 06:00 PM-08:54 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday