Design - DSGN 250
Tool, Die and Fixture Design (2-4) 4 Cr. Hrs.
Tool, Die and Fixture Design is a specialized phase of mechanical or manufacturing engineering. This course will cover the development of jigs and fixtures, work holding devices and press working tools such as cutting dies, piercing dies, forming dies and drawing dies. Emphasis is placed on the types of tools, supporting and locating principles, clamping methods, construction methods, theory of metal cutting and metal forming. Design projects are used to reinforce theory and to provide an opportunity to gain practical experience. Sketching and CAD will be used to develop, create and design customs jigs, fixtures, dies and die types. ANSI/ASME Standards are followed for the creation of solid models, multi views, drawings, tolerances and dimensioning practices.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Design stamping dies.
- Develop required material lists for die designs.
- Summarize the functions of presses and their related features.
- Determine the functions of common upper and lower dies.
- Explain the function of die parts and tooling.
- Explain the functions of jigs and fixtures.
- Utilize standards for selecting components of jigs and fixtures
- Utilize jig and fixture construction principles.
- Utilize the initial design procedure for jigs and fixtures.
- Design custom jigs and fixtures.
- Apply financial analysis of jigs and fixtures.
- Utilize 3D modeling concepts, property analysis methods and view extraction techniques to create components and assemblies.
- Utilize 3D modeling concepts, property analysis methods and view extraction techniques to analyze components and assemblies.
- Utilize 3D modeling concepts, property analysis methods and view extraction techniques to detail components and assemblies.
- Apply G.D. & T. principles to all designs and drawings.
- Determine appropriate fixture tolerance specifications based on part tolerances.
| ||250||114400||Tool Die & Fixture Design|| ||4||Rochon S||$302.00||12/20/0||Open||S 08:30 AM-02:20 PM AS310