Medical Assisting - MA 134
Medical Insurance Coding (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course introduces the student to insurance coding guidelines developed for use with the International Classification of Diseases, (ICD-10-CM) and Current Procedural Terminology, (CPT). The course is designed to develop basic coding skills to record the services and procedures that are provided for the patient. The importance of accurate coding will be discussed as it is an essential part of reimbursement.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain why accuracy is essential in coding.
- Break down how diagnosis and procedure coding tie together on the claim form.
- Apply the basic guidelines and steps using ICD-10-CM diagnostic codes for a given diagnosis.
- Analyze physician documentation.
- Apply the basic guidelines and steps using CPT codes to determine the code of a given procedure or service.
- Identify appropriate use of CPT modifiers.
- Relate the importance of tactful communication skills with medical providers and patients to ensure reimbursement.
- Utilize medical necessity guidelines for coding applications.
- Apply medical terminology to all coding aspects.
| ||134||245658||Medical Ins Coding|| ||3||Frazier R||$12.00||25/31/0||Open||R 06:00 PM-08:54 PM RC420
| ||134||247808||Medical Ins Coding||Hybrid||3||Rubio P||$12.00||21/31/0||Open||W 09:00 AM-11:54 AM RC480
| ||134||225652||Medical Ins Coding|| ||3||Frazier R||$12.00||22/31/0||Open||T R 06:00 PM-09:10 PM RC420