English as a Second Language - ESL 87
Grammar and Writing 3 (3-1) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course for English-language learners is the third in a guided series of ESL grammar and writing classes. In this class, taught in group and language lab settings, students continue to develop their knowledge of appropriate grammatical structures, academic vocabulary, and will begin essay writing.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- ESL 77 with a minimum grade of 2.0 or Placement is determined by test scores on the CPT Accuplacer English as a Second Language Test.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Express thoughts clearly in essays.
- Apply conventional punctuation to writing.
- Identify fragments and run-on sentences.
- Utilize sentence variety including simple, compound and complex sentences.
- Generate ideas through pre-writing activities such as brainstorming, idea mapping and/or outlining.
- Develop thesis statement for essay.
- Develop appropriate support for essay.
- Formulate vocabulary by building words with word parts.
- Create clear written communications with a minimum of grammatical errors that would impede comprehensibility.
- Apply verb tenses to writing, including simple, present progressive, present perfect and future.
- Edit own writing for errors in usage, sentence structure, word choice and format.
- Compose short essays.
| ||087||141719||Grammar Writing 3|| ||4||Bazzi L||$37.00||3/23/0||Open||M 11:15 AM-01:16 PM MC025
W 11:15 AM-12:09 PM MC011
W 12:15 PM-01:16 PM MC025
| ||087||111727||Grammar Writing 3|| ||4||Quan L||$37.00||20/20/0||Open||M 09:00 AM-09:54 AM MC030
M 10:00 AM-11:01 AM MC011
W 09:00 AM-11:01 AM MC030