Veterans Resource Center provides key services
Veterans face many challenges as they transition to civilian life and the next chapter of their lives. With deep gratitude for their service to our country, Schoolcraft College is committed to creating a seamless path to success for veterans and military members.
That assistance starts at the dedicated Veterans Resource Center (VRC), conveniently located in the heart of campus. It’s the first stop for those eager to become students, as the friendly and knowledgeable staff can help answer any questions and navigate the many challenges that come with being a college student.
The story of De’Leon Alonzo Morris illustrates how important the Veterans Resource Center is. De’Leon served eight years in the Navy as an E6/First Class Petty Officer.
He started at Schoolcraft College in May of 2020 with a goal of earning an Associate Degree in Engineering.
“The VRC at Schoolcraft was instrumental in getting me ready for my classes,” said Morris, who is a full-time student. “Being out of school for the last eight years, things have changed a lot in that time. The team at the VRC helped me with so much, including degree choice, getting my military credit to transfer, course and professor recommendations and getting all of my VA benefits submitted on time so I could receive financial assistance right away.”
The Schoolcraft College Veterans Resource Center provides assistance to veterans and military members as prospective or current students, working with military personnel and their families to provide assistance with:
- The VA educational benefits application process
- Planning a program of study with course selection and course sequence information in accordance with Schoolcraft and VA policies and guidelines
- Submission of enrollment certification paperwork
- Information about scholarships offered to veterans and service members
- Connections to college resources: Priority Registration, Tutoring, Career Services and Resume Writing
At the service member’s request, the VRC will also:
- Act as a liaison between the veteran and the VA
- Serve as a point of contact for additional referrals and resources
Amenities offered in the Veterans Resource Center include:
- Use of computers and printers for completing homework
- Lounge area to relax in between classes, watch TV, or enjoy complimentary snacks and beverages
- Kitchen area with microwave
- Lending Library to check out donated textbooks for use throughout the semester
“The best part about the VRC is their response time,” Morris said. “I can call or email and I know I’ll get a response quickly. They work hard to answer any questions and provide the necessary resources.
“For example, as soon as I put my admission letter in, I got an email from the VRC helping with the timeline of events and helping answer any questions I had as an incoming student.”
Morris has taken classes in calculus, physics and coding, so he’s well on his way to achieving his goals.
“Schoolcraft has made my life so much easier and less stressful,” he said. “I highly recommend Schoolcraft College for any veterans.”