Student Commencement Speaker
Schoolcraft College is looking for a graduating student (certificate, associate’s, and bachelor’s students may apply) to address their peers, the college faculty and staff, community members, and all those that wish to honor the graduating class at the 58th annual commencement ceremony. This student should be passionate, driven, and possess captivating experiences they can speak to, which provide a comprehensive, inclusive, community-based message that will inspire the institution and their fellow classmates.
Commencement will take place on Saturday, May 6, 2023.
The process will include:
- Application submission (Complete the Form)
- Includes key points to be covered in commencement address
- Letter(s) of recommendation (no more than 3) from Schoolcraft faculty member
- All applications must be submitted by February 28, 2023.
- Finalists will be selected and asked for an interview
- Finalists will be asked to submit a full draft of commencement address
- An in-person, panel-reviewed reading will be conducted with each of the finalists
- Finalist selected
- Guidance will be provided to students in preparation for delivering a speech prior to the commencement ceremony.
- The Panel will utilize a defined rubric to collaboratively select a speaker.
- The student selected must be in good academic standing and on track to graduate.
- The selected speaker will be determined based on the quality of speech, content, and faculty references. The speeches that will be selected will typically appeal to a large number of people. We strongly discourage highly personal speeches as they may not be appropriate.