Alternate Route to Interim Teacher Certification (ARC)
Schoolcraft College has been approved by the state of Michigan to offer an Alternative Route to Interim Teacher Certification (ARC) Program. This program is designed for college graduates, who meet specific admission requirements, to be able to become certified classroom teachers using a rigorous, accelerated preparation program. The Alternate Route Program (ARC) also enables currently certified teachers to add new endorsements to their certificates while completing the same ARC program requirements.
What is Schoolcraft’s ARC Program?
The Alternative Route to Teacher Certification (ARC) program is a state approved teacher education preparation program for those who have an earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university seeking initial teacher certification or to add additional endorsements to a current teaching certificate.
Those seeking initial certification have the opportunity to earn an Interim Teaching Certificate (ITC) after one or two semesters of precertification coursework. An ITC allows the ARC candidate to gain employment as a full-time teacher in the area(s) of certification while receiving exceptional support through peer mentoring, instructional coaching, and additional coursework for three years. Successful completion of all Program requirements and three years of effective teaching earns the ARC candidate a standard teaching certificate. This is the equivalent of completing a traditional pathway to teaching.
Certified teachers can add additional endorsements through the ARC Program. The ARC Program provides consultation through an Individual Student Plan (ISP) worksheet, which includes required coursework, peer mentoring, and instructional coaching to add an endorsement. The ISP is designed to meet MDE certification requirements for those seeking to add additional endorsement(s) through an alternative route program. This plan does not apply to graduation requirements for Schoolcraft College.
Why choose Schoolcraft’s ARC Program?
- Rigorous accelerated curriculum taught by faculty who provide relevant instruction for today’s classroom
- Accommodates the needs of working adults through evening courses offered remotely
- Exceptional peer mentoring and instructional coaching support during the first three years of teaching
- Certification or endorsement(s) not contingent on academic major or minor
- Affordable tuition and in some cases financial aid and grant funding are available
What certification and endorsement area(s) does Schoolcraft’s ARC program provide?
- K-5, Elementary Education
- 6-12, Secondary Education
- K-12 Education
- New MDE Grade Bands
- Spring 2023 PK-3 grade band offered
- Contact the ARC program at [email protected] or 734-462-4335 to learn more