Medical Laboratory Techniques (4-0) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This course will provide an opportunity for the student to practice techniques to perform laboratory procedures. The student will practice preparing the patient for tests, collecting samples, completing the tests and reporting the results to the physician. The student will practice laboratory procedures such as urinalysis, hematology, bacteriology, chemistries, blood typing and patient preps.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain laboratory medical terminology.
- Incorporate safety practices in the laboratory.
- Explain normal test values.
- Demonstrate the use and proper handling of a microscope.
- Name the basic parts of a microscope.
- Compare various procedures used in urinalysis.
- Explain microscopic urine examination.
- Analyze hemoglobin and spun hematocrit determinations, sedimentation rates and blood smear preparations.
- Explain differential leukocyte counts.
- Complete hematology studies on automated equipment.
- Determine the ABO and Rh type of blood specimens.
- Interpret CLIA waived serology and microbiological tests.
- Explain the basic principles involved in the collection of bacteriological specimens, preparation of smears, inoculation of media, and identification of stained bacteria.
- Integrate knowledge of available automated equipment with CLIA waived blood chemistries.
- Explore basic principles of coagulation.
- Apply two methods used to determine bleeding time.
- Perform a platelet count.
- Apply the basic principles of quality control used in a medical laboratory in all laboratory testing.
- Compose quality control records on testing and equipment.
- Explain the proper preparation of patients for specific lab tests.
| ||174||245651||Medical Lab Techniques|| || ||Binkowski C||$52.00||10/24/0||Open||
| ||174||215606||Medical Lab Techniques|| || ||Binkowski C||$52.00||12/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.