Health Information Technology
Clinical Affiliation 2 (0-8) 2 Cr. Hrs.
This course provides practical experience for the student in a Health Information Management/Services Department under the supervision of health information management professionals. The student will have an opportunity to observe and interact with health information management professionals in a variety of healthcare facilities at off-campus sites. The student will observe, perform and report on the functions necessary to support health information services.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the role of the Health Information Management Department within the healthcare facility organization.
- Collect health data.
- Conduct analysis to ensure that documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient's progress, clinical findings and discharge status.
- Verify timeliness, completeness, accuracy and appropriateness of data and data sources for patient care, management, billing reports, registries and/or databases.
- Apply policies and procedures to ensure organizational compliance with regulations and standards.
- Maintain the accuracy and completeness of the patient record as defined by organizational policy and external regulations and standards.
- Assist in preparing the organization for accreditation, licensing and/or certification surveys.
- Apply diagnosis/procedure codes.
- Collect data for clinical indices/databases/registries.
- Organize data for quality management, utilization management, risk management and other related studies.
- Apply policies and procedures for access and disclosure of personal health records.
- Determine appropriateness of release of patient-specific data to requestors.
- Promote ethical standard of practice.
- Use technology, including hardware and software, to ensure data collection, storage, analysis and reporting of information.
- Use common software applications such as spreadsheets, databases, word processing, graphics, presentation, e-mail and so on in the execution of work processes.
- Use specialized software in the completion of HIM processes such as a record tracking, release of information coding, grouping, registries, billing, quality improvement and imaging.
- Apply retention and destruction policies for health information.
- Apply confidentiality and security measures to protect electronic health information.
- Protect data integrity and validity using software or hardware technology.
- Summarize data compiled from audit trail and data quality monitoring programs.
- Monitor coding and revenue cycle processes.
- Contribute to work plans, policies, procedures and resource requisitions in relation to job functions.
- Compile a professional practice procedure manual to reflect the analysis of the health information management functions performed or observed.
| ||256||247806||Clinical Affiliation 2 ||Hybrid|| ||Scheller J||$440.00||17/24/0||Open||
| ||256||217815||Clinical Affiliation 2 ||Hybrid|| ||Scheller J||$440.00||24/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.