Health Information Technology
ICD Coding Practicum
This course will provide practical hands-on experience with ICD coding of health/medical records. The student will apply official coding guidelines to a variety of clinical cases and record types such as hospital inpatient, outpatient and physician office or service. The student will utilize computerized encoding systems for diagnosis and procedure coding. The student will research references in solving coding problems.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Manage health data (such as data elements, data sets and data bases including UHDDS).
- Conduct analysis to ensure documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient's progress, clinical findings and discharge status.
- Use electronic applications and work processes to support and maintain clinical classification and coding.
- Apply diagnosis/procedures codes using the ICD system.
- Ensure accuracy of diagnostic/procedural groupings such as DRG, MS-DRG, etc.
- Adhere to current regulations and established guidelines in code assignment.
- Resolve discrepancies between coded data and supporting documentation.
- Validate coding accuracy using clinical information found in the health record.
- Monitor coding and revenue cycle processes.
- Apply Present on Admission (POA) indicator guidelines.
- Utilize coding references to clarify current coding issues.
- Apply policies and procedures for the use of clinical data required in reimbursement and prospective payment systems (PPS) in healthcare delivery.
- Apply policies and procedures to comply with the changing regulations among various payment systems for healthcare services such as Medicare, Medicaid, managed care and so forth.
- Support accurate billing through coding, chargemaster, claims management and bill reconciliation processes.
- Use established guidelines to comply with reimbursement and reporting requirements such as the National Correct Coding Initiative.
- Compile patient data and perform data quality reviews to validate code assignment and compliance with reporting requirements.
- Ensure accuracy of diagnostic/procedural groupings such as DRG, APC and so on.
| ||236||227217||ICD-10-CM/PCS Practicum|| ||2||Kuzak B|| ||18/24/0||Open||
| ||236||227250||ICD-10-CM/PCS PRAC|| ||2||Rubio P|| ||21/24/0||Open||
| ||236||227252||ICD-10-CM/PCS Practicum|| ||2||Brown D|| ||0/24/5||Closed||
| ||236||227255||ICD-10-CM/PCS Practicum|| ||2||Derousie C|| ||10/24/0||Open||