Health Information Technology
ICD-10-CM/PCS (2-2) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course provides an introduction to basic ICD-10-CM/PCS coding theory. This course is designed for the classification of patient morbidity and mortality information for statistical purposes, for the indexing of health/medical records by disease and operation for data storage and retrieval and for reimbursement purposes. ICD-10-CM and PCS Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting for hospital inpatient and outpatient services will be utilized. Laboratory activities focus on the application of the related skills with accuracy and completeness using manual and computerized methods.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Interpret healthcare scenarios for ICD 10-CM/PCS code assignment.
- Apply diagnosis codes using ICD-10-CM according to current guidelines and conventions for the following:
- a. Z Codes and External Cause of Morbidity
- b. Symptoms, Signs and Ill-Defined Conditions
- c. Infectious and Parasitic Diseases
- d. Endocrine, Nutritional and Metabolic Diseases
- e. Mental Health and Substance Abuse Disorders
- f. Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs and Immune System
- g. Diseases of the Nervous System
- h. Diseases of the Respiratory System
- i. Diseases of the Digestive System
- j. Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous System
- k. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal and Connective Tissue
- l. Injuries and Burns
- m. Poisoning, Toxic Effects, Adverse Effects and Under-Dosing
- n. Completions of Surgery and Medical Care
- Assign procedure codes using ICD-10-PCS according to current guidelines and conventions.
- Sequence codes following ICD-10 and UHDDS guidelines.
- Consult references to facilitate ICD-10-CM diagnosis code and ICD-10-PCS procedure code assignment.
- Utilize encoding software for ICD-10-CM diagnosis code and ICD-10-PCS procedure code assignment.
- Explain the assignment of Present on Admission (POA) indicators.
- Comply with AHIMA Standards of Ethical Coding.
- Evaluate the consequences of a breach of coding ethics.
- Explore the certifications available through the American Health Information Management Association that reflect coding knowledge and skills.
| ||117||217203||ICD-10-CM/PCS|| ||3||Harder C||$154.00||13/24/0||Open||
| ||117||217256||ICD-10-CM/PCS|| ||3||Derousie C||$154.00||13/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.