Health Information Technology
ICD-10-CM/PCS (2-2) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This course is an introduction to basic coding theory and computer laboratory practice applying ICD-10-CM/PCS to hospital medical/health records. This course is designed for the classification of patient morbidity and mortality information for statistical purposes, for the indexing of health/medical records by disease and operation for data storage and retrieval and for reimbursement purposes. Diagnostic coding and reporting guidelines for hospital inpatient and outpatient services will be utilized.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Use electronic applications and work processes to support and maintain clinical classification and coding.
- Apply diagnosis/procedure codes using ICD-10-CM/PCS.
- Adhere to current regulations and established guidelines in code assignment.
- Validate coding accuracy using clinical information found in the health record.
- Select the appropriate principal diagnosis, principal procedure, complications and comorbid conditions which require coding.
- Use applications and processes to support and maintain other clinical classification and nomenclature systems (such as ICD-10-CM, SNOMED and so on).
- Resolve discrepancies between coded data and supporting documentation.
- Explore the certification process of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Apply policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy of health data.
- Conduct analysis to ensure documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient's progress, clinical findings and discharge status.
| ||117||217203||ICD-10-CM/PCS|| ||3||Harder C||$154.00||13/24/0||Open||
| ||117||217256||ICD-10-CM/PCS|| ||3||Derousie C||$154.00||13/24/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.