This course is a survey of prehistoric and ancient times: origins of human nature and culture; early gathering-hunting and planting-herding societies; origins of civilization in the Middle East, India, China, the Mediterranean and elsewhere; civilized-barbarian interaction and the rise of early Old World empires; rise of classical civilizations, especially Greece and Rome; rise of the higher religions, especially the Judaeo-Christian traditions; and decline of classical civilizations with emphasis on the fall of Rome and the rise of medieval Europe, Byzantium and Islam.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate a clear, factual understanding of the historical development of the Ancient World.
- Evaluate the human experience as it relates to the historical period covered by the course.
- Analyze the role geography played in the historical period covered by the course.
- Relate the human experience – using history – to contemporary times.
- Analyze historical evidence of the human experience/culture for the period covered by the course.
- Distinguish between historical artifacts and other types of sources concerning history.
- Incorporate historical artifacts and other scholarly sources concerning history into their writing and research.
- Demonstrate digital literacy, especially as it relates to the study of history.
- Synthesize the origins of human communities and culture for the period covered by the course.
- Analyze the origins of civilizations during the period covered by the course.
- Illustrate the rise of religion occurring in the period covered by the course.
| ||134||142729||Ancient World ||Online||4||Lark K||$30.00||17/31/0||Open||
| ||134||141602||Ancient World|| ||4||Burhans B|| ||0/30/1||Closed||
| ||134||141619||Ancient World|| ||4||Burhans B|| ||0/30/1||Closed||
| ||134||142426||Anicent World ||Online||4||Thomson A||$30.00||1/31/0||Open||
| ||134||142735||Ancient World ||Online||4||Thomson A||$30.00||7/31/0||Open||