Building Writing Skills
This is the second of a two-part sequence (ENG 050/ENG 055 or ESL 052/ENG 055) designed to prepare students for composition courses. The course focuses on the writing process, paragraph development, revision and essay structure. A grade of 2.0 or better in ENG 055 is necessary to enter ENG 101.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- ENG 050 with a minimum grade of 2.0 or minimum placement test score of 15 ACT or 51 CPT.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Use brainstorming, clustering, or outlining to generate and organize ideas.
- Use basic paragraph structure.
- Create effective topic and concluding sentences.
- Employ different strategies in writing well organized paragraphs including but not limited to description, narration, comparison/contrast, classification, cause and effect, and/or illustration.
- Apply conventional punctuation accurately to a variety of sentences.
- Develop vocabulary skills to achieve college level diction.
- Revise writing for errors in usage, sentence structure, word choice, and manuscript format.
- Edit paragraphs for errors in usage, sentence structure, word choice, and manuscript format.
- Develop critical thinking skills.
| ||055||111503||Building Writing Skills|| ||3||Maheshwari A|| ||26/31/0||Open||
| ||055||121301||Building Writing Skills|| ||3||Woods R|| ||28/28/0||Open||
| ||055||131512||Building Writing Skills|| ||3||Woods R|| ||28/28/0||Open||