(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Reading Placement Score ACT 11 - 14 / CPT 32 - 56.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Develop reading comprehension strategies.
- Formulate a valid response to an essay or argument.
- Incorporate reading comprehension strategies when reading text.
- Assess word parts to aid with new vocabulary, including syllable stress and pronunciation.
- Interpret contextual clues to aid with new vocabulary, noting cultural distinctions.
- Differentiate main ideas and supporting details within paragraphs.
- Analyze central point and major support elements in essay.
- Discriminate among five major writing patterns.
- Construct accurate topic sentences for incomplete paragraphs.
- Document seminal events while reading a biographical writing.
- Generate short answer essays from reading notes.
- Summarize essential elements of an essay or argument.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.