Basic Chemistry (4-2) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This is an elementary course in chemistry for students who have not had high school chemistry or who wish to review basic chemical concepts. This course provides an introduction to chemical measurement, basic definitions and laws, chemical nomenclature and equations, calculations based on chemical equations, atomic theory, the Periodic Table, solutions, acids, bases, gases and organic chemistry.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Solve a variety of mathematical problems involving systems of measurement, temperature scales, density, and energy.
- Use chemical nomenclature to name a variety of inorganic compounds.
- Classify materials using basic chemical classification schemes including, but not limited to: molecular and ionic substances; elements, compounds and mixtures; metal, nonmetal, and metalloid.
- Explain the atomic and electronic structure of matter using modern atomic theory of matter.
- Distinguish between chemical, physical and nuclear properties of matter; and between chemical, physical and nuclear changes.
- Use chemical symbols to represent chemical elements, compounds, and chemical reactions.
- Demonstrate balancing of simple chemical equations.
- Interpret chemical equations.
- Utilize the concept of the mole to perform various basic calculations including but not limited to the determination of chemical formulas and stoichiometric calculations.
- Classify chemical equations by type.
- Distinguish between exothermic and endothermic processes.
- Explain ionic and covalent chemical bonds, and their effect on the properties of matter.
- Predict properties and characteristics of elements based on patterns and trends found in the Periodic Table.
- Use VSEPR theory to determine the shapes of simple molecules and the 3-dimensional relationships between the atoms in simple molecules.
- Explain the general properties of gases.
- Perform qualitative and quantitative calculations involving the basic properties of gaseous samples (pressure, volume, temperature).
- Explore partial pressures of component gases in mixtures (Dalton's Law) and solubility of gases in non-reacting liquids (Henry's Law).
- Solve problems involving solution concentration.
- Apply the Arrhenius and Bronsted-Lowry theories to acid-base chemistry.
- Calculate oxidation numbers (oxidation states) of combined and uncombined elements.
- Analyze chemical reactions using the concepts of oxidation and reduction, including identification of redox reactions and identification of the substances oxidized and reduced.
- Apply a working knowledge of laboratory safety, including proper use of safety equipment (e.g., protective eyewear) and safe work habits.
- Utilize various laboratory equipment in the performance of laboratory experiments.
- Perform various laboratory manipulations.
- Organize laboratory data, calculations, and analyses in an accurate and detailed fashion.
- Execute appropriate disposal procedures for the various compounds used in the laboratory.
| ||051||145402||Basic Chemistry|| ||4||Dickson P||$281.00||28/30/0||Open||
|M W ||10:00AM-11:54AM||F120|
| ||051||145403||Basic Chemistry|| ||4||Dickson P||$281.00||27/30/0||Open||
|T R ||02:00PM-03:54PM||F120|
| ||051||145450||Basic Chemistry|| ||4||Woodside K||$281.00||25/30/0||Open||
|M W ||08:00PM-09:54PM||F100|
| ||051||145451||Basic Chemistry|| ||4||Woodside K||$281.00||27/30/0||Open||
|T R ||08:00PM-09:54PM||F100|
| ||051||147801||Basic Chemistry ||Hybrid||4||Dickson P||$281.00||30/30/0||Open||
| ||051||125408||Basic Chemistry|| ||4||Woodside K||$207.00||21/30/0||Open||
|M W ||02:30PM-05:43PM||F100|
|T R ||03:30PM-04:24PM||F100|
|T R ||04:30PM-06:37PM||F210|
| ||051||127806||Basic Chemistry ||Hybrid||4||Dickson P||$207.00||22/30/0||Open||
|M R ||01:00PM-02:00PM||F100|
|M R ||02:15PM-04:22PM||F200|
| ||051||135433||Basic Chemistry|| ||4||Jones A||$207.00||20/30/0||Open||
|M W ||10:00AM-01:13PM||F100|
|T R ||10:00AM-10:54AM||F100|
|T R ||11:00AM-01:07PM||F200|
| ||051||115402||Basic Chemistry|| ||4||Hammond S||$207.00||9/30/0||Open||
|T R ||02:00PM-03:54PM||F120|
| ||051||115450||Basic Chemistry|| ||4||Temporelli B||$207.00||17/30/0||Open||
|M W ||06:00PM-07:54PM||F100|
| ||051||117812||Basic Chemistry ||Hybrid||4||Dickson P||$207.00||11/30/0||Open||
Note: This schedule updates once every 24 hours. Please reference WebAdvisor for current status.