Computer Graphics Technology
Every successful piece of graphic design succeeds on both the technical and conceptual level. This course focuses solely on the technical—or execution—part of graphic design as it relates to printed material. Students will have the opportunity to learn how commercial printing is done and how the printing process imposes limits on graphic design. Students will learn how to work with printers to achieve the best possible results.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the various print and design processes - such as the history of printing technology, current developments in printing technology, limitations of mass production, and terminology used by printers.
- Explain how the decisions involving paper impact the print and design process - such as the impact of paper choice on a finished design, how paper is made and categorized, how to specify and order paper, how cost and quality of paper affects the design process.
- Summarize how decisions involving ink impact the print and design process - such as how ink selection impacts design, the difference between spot and process color, determining how many inks are required for a given project, set up projects for multiple inks, and how and why ink choices affect the cost of printing.
- Identify the prepress choices that must be made for successful reproduction of type, photos and other design elements.
- Identify when and how color trapping should be done.
- Develop a preflight checklist which indicates the proofing options appropriate to a given situation.
- Explain how preflight software is used to check and correct the quality of a file intended for commercial printing.
- Identify the postal regulations that affect the distribution and design of various types of mailed printed pieces.
- Develop a price specification list so that a competitive bid can be done between numerous print vendors.
- Summarize the process of working with clients to guide them through getting their printed project completed.
| ||157||119355||Prepress|| ||2||Langdon J||$30.00||22/22/0||Open||