Biomedical Engineering Technology
(0-24/40) 3 Cr. Hrs.
Section Start Dates
|Section No||Start Date
|117400||February 2, 2015
View Course Schedule
Biomedical Equipment Internship 1
This is the first cooperative assignment for a Biomedical Engineering Technology student who has completed the prerequisites for this course. Employment will be approximately 24 to 40 hours per week off campus in a technical capacity with a hospital or an employer in the biomedical field. The college and the employer will jointly evaluate the student, which will then serve as a basis for a final grade. A student on a BMET internship is considered a full time student with Schoolcraft College with all rights and privileges of a full time student. (Usually 15 weeks)
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Acceptance into the Biomedical Engineering Technology Program (BMET) and
- BMET 116 with a grade of 3.0 or better.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify the basic operations of each department of the hospital.
- Identify the physiological principles applicable to each department of the hospital.
- Identify equipment operations for each department of the hospital.
- Summarize the organization, policies and procedures of a Biomedical Engineering Technology Department.
- Calibrate medical equipment accurately.
- Work with hospital staff in a respectful and collaborative manner.
- Troubleshoot equipment problems effectively.
- Respond accordingly to instructions and concerns of superiors, co-workers and other hospital staff.
- Demonstrate proper use of biomedical test equipment.
- Adhere to applicable safety procedures.
- Repair medical equipment properly.