Principles of Human Anatomy and Physiology 1
This is the first course in a two-semester sequence in the comprehensive study of the structure and function of the human body. Emphasis will be placed upon the anatomy and physiology of the integumentary, skeletal, muscular, nervous and endocrine systems. Labs reinforce units of study and include the use of prepared histological slides, anatomical models, bones, dissection of preserved specimens and computer simulations. In addition, students will have the opportunity to examine a dissected cadaver to enhance anatomical studies. BIOL 237 and BIOL 238 are designed for the student who plans to pursue a career in the health or biomedical field. Students attend three hours of lecture and two hours of lab each week.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Compare the different levels of organization of the human body.
- Explain control mechanisms for homeostasis.
- Apply anatomical and directional terminology.
- Explain the structure and function of the cell and its components.
- Characterize major tissue types and their functions.
- Summarize the structure and function of the integumentary system.
- Outline the organization of bone tissue.
- Compare the bones and bone markings of the axial and appendicular skeletons.
- Differentiate among the types of joints and their associated movements.
- Contrast the organization of the three types of muscle tissue.
- Explain how muscles produce movement.
- Identify the origins, insertions, and actions of skeletal muscles.
- Summarize the organization of the nervous system.
- Outline the process of nerve impulse conduction.
- Explain the structure and function of the brain and spinal cord.
- Explain the function of the autonomic nervous system.
- Evaluate the structure and function of the special senses.
- Explain the structure and function of the components of the endocrine system.
| ||237||115326||Prin Human Anatomy Phys 1|| ||4||Huang L||$148.00||8/24/0||Open||
|T R ||04:00PM-05:48PM||LA470|
| ||237||115352||Prin Human Anatomy Phys 1|| ||4||Stewart S||$148.00||0/24/0||Closed||
|M T ||06:30PM-08:18PM||LA270|