Short-handed staff produces excellent work
The Schoolcraft Connection student newspaper continues to add to its well-deserved reputation for excellence following outstanding performances in two key contests.
First, the Schoolcraft Connection won seven awards from the 2021 College Better Newspaper contest presented by the Michigan Press Association (MPA). The Connection competed in Division III: Two-year college publications or newspapers publishing less than weekly.
Members of the Arkansas Press Association reviewed 568 entries submitted by 16 Michigan college newspapers. Over the past nine years, the Schoolcraft Connection has won 95 awards total in this contest.
“It is more important than ever to recognize and encourage good, impactful journalism,” said Joanne Williams, associate professor of journalism and mass communication at Olivet College and Michigan College Press Association president. “That is what our college newspapers are doing, and with support and recognition from contests and professionals in the field, that will continue. Our experienced faculty and advisors will see to it as well,”
The following students received awards for their work in 2021:
- 1st place for Feature Story: Madison Ling
- 2nd place for Feature Story: Ben Bolstrom
- 2nd place for Editorial: Schoolcraft Connection Staff
- 3rd place for Feature Story: Matthew Fular and Madison Ling
- 3rd place for Sports News/Features: Matthew Fular
- 3rd place for Column Review or Sports Blog: Matt Karbownik
- 3rd place for Overall Best Newspaper in Division III: Schoolcraft Connection Staff
Awards from the MCCPA
The staff followed that outstanding performance with an additional 14 awards from the Michigan Community College Press Association (MCCPA), making it a total of 21 awards for the 2021-22 academic year.
Here is a look at the Connection’s totals for the last 10 years in both yearly competitions:
- MCCPA 10-year total (2012-2022): 147
- MPA 9-year total (2012-2021): 95
- MCCPA and MPBA combined total (2012-2022): 242
Students who received awards in the MCCPA contest:
- 1st place for Sports Feature Story: Ben Bolstrom
- 1st place for News Photo: Armando Saucedo
- 1st place for Feature Photo: Claire Smith
- 1st place for Inside Page Design: Matt Karbownik
- 2nd place for Front Page Design: Matt Karbownik
- 3rd place for Feature Story: Matthew Fular
- 3rd place for Personality Profile: Vae O’Neil
- 3rd place for Inside Page Design: Matt Karbownik
- 3rd place for Video Production: Armando Saucedo
- 3rd Place General Excellence: SC Connection Staff
- Honorable Mention for Column Serious: Matthew Kern
- Honorable Mention for Critical Review: Vae O’Neil
- Honorable Mention for Sports News Photo: Claire Smith
- Honorable Mention for Video Production: Jordan Weston
“This is a remarkable achievement for these students as they did this with only five senior editors out of the possible 10 positions on staff,” said Rena Laverty, Student Activities Technician, College Photographer and Connection Adviser. “We’re now looking for new editors to join us for the 2022-23 year. Any students interested in writing, photography, videography or design can contact us.
“All majors are welcome and encouraged. Editors are compensated up to $1,100 per semester for Fall and Winter.”
For more information, call 734-462-4422 or email [email protected].