Is the section you want ever full by the time you register? If so, we have news for you. You have the opportunity to put yourself on a waitlist for most traditional credit courses.
A waitlist is an electronic list that is attached to a course section for students who want to enroll in a closed section should a spot open up.
What do you need to do?
First, check your Ocelot Access account to ensure that the email address we have on file is accurate/current. If not, update it. We’ll be using that to notify you if a seat opens in the section you want.
How does waitlist work?
- If the section of the class you want is already full, you can place yourself on the waitlist through Ocelot Access.
- Should a spot become available, we will email you permission to register.
- Register (using Manage my Waitlist option in Ocelot Access) and pay before the specified date and time in the email or your permission to register will expire and the seat will be offered to the next student on the waitlist.
Note: Students registering from the waitlist once the class starts must obtain instructor consent prior to registering.
- Contact the Instructor via Email (view Faculty & Staff Directory)
- When sending your email request to the instructor be sure to include your full name, student ID number, phone number, course name and section number you are wishing to join. It must have a subject line of “Overload-Late Entry-student name.”
- Student name
- Student Number
- Phone number
- Course name and number
- 2-digit section number
- If the Instructor approves, they will email the Registration Center at [email protected]. Emails must come from the instructor’s Schoolcraft email account. Emails need to include student name, ID number, course name/number, section number, term and statement of consent.
- Register for your class(es):
- The Registration Center will process the Overload/Late Entry form and email both the student and the instructor a confirmation email.
- Payment is due within 3 weekdays, including holidays, from when you register. Please begin the process of exploring all options for payment, including scholarships and financial aid, or sign up for the tuition payment plan.
- Students are responsible for all the work that they have missed prior to officially being registered in the course. It is left to the discretion of the instructor whether missed assignments will be accepted or graded.
- It is your responsibility to drop any sections for which you registered and paid and the available waitlisted section duplicates. Failure to do so will result in paying for two sections of the same course.
Waitlisting is not available for courses in the Culinary Arts and non-credit (Personal & Professional Learning) area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will all sections offer a waitlist?
No. Sections that are offered through our non-credit/PPL will not utilize waitlisting
How do I get on the waitlist?
When you attempt to register for a closed section you will be given the option to add yourself to the waitlist.
Can I be enrolled/registered in a section and then add myself to the waitlist for another section?
Yes, but if you decide to enroll in the previously waitlisted section, you are responsible for dropping the first one. Otherwise, you will have registered/paid for two sections of the same course. Example: Student B is enrolled in MATH-113 that meets on Monday/Wednesday at 9 a.m., but really prefers the Tuesday evening section. He is on the waitlist for the Tuesday evening section and is offered a spot. If he registers and pays for the Tuesday evening section, he must also drop himself from the Monday/Wednesday section he no longer wants. This will not happen automatically.
Can I waitlist for more than one section of the same course?
Yes, but as soon as you register for one section of the course you will be dropped from all other waitlists for that course. Example: Student A was not able to find an open section of BIOL-243 when she registered, so she is on the waitlist for several sections of BIOL-243. She gets a notification that a spot is available and she decides to enroll in that section. She will automatically be removed from the waitlists for the other sections.
Can I get an overload into a section that is full?
Not all instructors accept overloads. You must get approval in writing from the instructor to overload into a section. Written consent must be brought to the RegistrationCenter within two business days to be honored. If your instructor issued consent via email, please print the email which shows the sent address and bring it with you.
How can I check my waitlists?
Log into Ocelot Access and from the student menu click on Manage My Waitlist.
Should I go to class if I’m on the waitlist?
No, only students who have registered/enrolled and paid for sections are allowed to attend.
How will I know I can register for a waitlisted section?
When there is a seat available in the section, an email will be sent to the first student on the waitlist for that section. Please be sure to check your email regularly. The College is not responsible for inactive or incorrect email addresses, full mailboxes or other similar problems that could affect the receipt of the email message. Some internet providers may route mail from Schoolcraft to spam, bulk mail or trash folders. Please check your email account’s security settings, filters, etc. in order to try to ensure appropriate delivery.
If you were on multiple waitlists for the same course, you will be removed from those waitlists once you register for a section.
Email is the ONLY form of notification for waitlisting.
Schoolcraft provides you with an email account so that we can communicate important information to you including waitlist notifications. SCmail is free and logging into your account takes only a few minutes.
What do I need to do when I receive the email giving me permission to register?
Log onto Ocelot Access, then select “Manage My Waitlist” in the student menu. Locate the section you have permission to register for, choose “Register” from the drop down menu, and then click “Submit”.
What happens if I do not register before the deadline?
Your permission to register expires on the date indicated in the notification email. Permission to register is then given to the next student on the waitlist.
On Ocelot Access it looks like there is a seat available but the status of the section is “Closed.” Why is the section closed?
The section is closed because the available seat is being offered to the first person on the waitlist.
What if I change my mind and want to remove myself from the waitlist?
Log onto Ocelot Access and from the student menu click on “Manage My Waitlist.” Locate the section for which you no longer want to be on the waitlist, choose “Remove” from the drop down menu, and then click “Submit.”
What happens if I drop a section and want to get back into the same section?
If there is an opening in the section, and no waitlist exists, you may register for the section. If the section is filled, you may place yourself on the waitlist.
How does de-registration impact waitlisted sections?
It does not. Students who are de-registered for non-payment will only be removed from sections for which they have registered. If you were de-registered for non-payment and the course is now closed, you must place yourself on the waitlist. Once you are registered/enrolled, payment for classes is due the same day that you register. Check Ocelot Access for hours of operation.
If a new section of a course is opened, will the students on the waitlist for other full sections be automatically notified?
Yes. An email will go out to students who are currently on a waitlist for the type of new course being offered. The new section will be filled on a first come, first served basis and this notification does not guarantee you a seat in any section.