Placement Test Preparation and Study Guides
Test Taking Tips
Before a test
- Know what will be specifically covered on the test.
- Know how the questions are going to be asked (multiple choice, true/false, essay, matching).
- Make sure your notes are complete. Compare with classmates.
- Review in advance.
- Know the point value of each question. This will help decide how much time is required to answer each question.
- Understand the consequences — How is this test going to effect my overall grade?
- Create Pretests. Use quizzes, old tests, etc.
- Prepare necessary equipment (pencils, paper, calculator, etc.)
During the test
- Be on time and prepared — arrive early to get organized both physically and mentally
- Read directions carefully — ask if unclear.
- Work on the questions you can answer quickly first.
- Keep track of time and budget accordingly.
- If allowed to write on the exam in the margins, jot down formulas, equations, facts, or other material you know and might forget.
- Regard memory lapse as perfectly normal. If you have a block, leave it and return to it later.
- Write legibly.
- Relax and have confidence in yourself!
- Make sure to check over the entire test for any careless errors.
- Don’t try to be the first one to leave — everyone has their own pace.
After the test
- Relax, it’s over!
- Don’t dwell — you can not react to your performance until you receive your grade.
- Keep all study materials for the final.
- Reward yourself whether you did well or not. You still worked hard.
Students sometimes miss a test because of absence, illness or other extenuating circumstances. Arrangements can be made with instructors for make-up testing in the Center.
- Testing by appointment only.
- Photo identification with first and last name is required (Cannot be a picture on phone).
- Permission to make up a test is the decision of the instructor.
- Appropriate testing accommodations available for those with documentation of special needs.