Students entering Schoolcraft College may submit SAT or ACT scores or college transfer credit demonstrating their ability in reading, writing and math, or they may take a placement test in the Testing Center. No appointment is necessary.
Placement testing is a service provided by Schoolcraft College to determine placement into Schoolcraft classes only. Your placement scores will not be provided to other institutions. If you need to enroll at another school, please contact them to make arrangements to take their placement test.
- To insure proper course placement, testing is mandatory for all new students who have not taken the ACT or SAT.
- Placement tests measure skill accomplishment in English, math, and reading.
- Scores indicate skill levels only; there is no passing or failing.
- Placement testing is offered on a walk-in basis.
- Allow approximately 2½ hours for testing.
- There is no charge for initial testing; however, retakes are $5 per subtest.
- A photo ID and a Schoolcraft student number must be presented in order to take the placement test.
Accuplacer/CPT is a computerized assessment test that will provide information about your level of skill accomplishment in reading, writing and one of three levels of mathematics. Assessing your ability in these areas will help you and your advisor or counselor determine college courses most appropriate for you.
You will take the test on a computer. A Test Administrator will be available if you have any questions during the test. The test instructions are easy to understand. You will use the keyboard or the mouse to enter your answers and supply other information.
Most questions are multiple choice. Tests are untimed so you can give each question as much thought as you wish.
For ESL testing, please see the Classic ACCUPLACER Sample Questions. For any other Placement test, please see the NEXT GENERATION Sample Questions by specific topic areas.
Placement Testing (Accuplacer) Sample Questions
ACCUPLACER Web-Based Study App
Students do better when they have reviewed and prepared for the placement test. Accuplacer offers a free Web-based app. Visit the CollegeBoard website to download the app.
Make It Count
If you need to take the Placement Test (ACCUPLACER®/CPT), check out the Make It Count resources to brush up on your skills in math, reading and English before you take the ACCUPLACER®. Save hours and money by succeeding on your placement test.
Make It Count-Placement Test Preparation