In 1976, with a $2,700 grant from the Schoolcraft Foundation, a professional set of reading, grammar, spelling and remedial mathematics video-cassette tapes was purchased and the Learning Assistance Center (LAC) was born.
During the next 3 decades, the LAC would expand services to include:
- Drop-in Tutoring— free tutoring provided by peer tutors
- Peer Assisted Learning (PAL)— peer led, class-specific, learning assistance
- Writing Fellows–peer writing assistance
- JumpStart! Math Class Prep
- Computer Learning Labs
- Continuing Education/LAC classes in mathematics, grammar, reading, writing, ESL, Kids on Campus
- Workshops on college survival, note-taking, test preparation, study skills, career choices, global issues…
- Community Bridge Programs with local middle and high schools
- Pre-Student Teaching Practicum
- Celebrate Learning
- Global Roundtable Symposia
- Exam-A-Rama, the LAC’s World-Famous Final Exam Reviews
- Live Webinars
The LAC grew from serving 100 students per year to assisting nearly 2,500 students each semester in their quest to achieve their educational goals.
In 2005, after various moves, the LAC settled into its current location in Bradner Library. Bradner Library is a working library, providing computer use, study rooms, library resources, and is a hub of learning activity for our campus.
The Learning Assistance Center plans to continue to grow with the mission of Schoolcraft College and Learning Support Services firmly planted in our roots. To ensure we are meeting the needs of our students, the LAC is a firm participant in continuous quality improvement and performs ongoing program evaluations and student and employee surveys throughout the school year. International Tutor Program Certification (ITPC) through the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) is yet another step toward improving the service we provide to our students and a valuable benefit to our tutors and Schoolcraft College.
LAC Mission Statement
The mission of the Learning Assistance Center’s tutoring program is to aid all Schoolcraft students in achieving a transformational learning experience by providing quality learning support services. The LAC assists students in becoming independent learners by helping them to acquire the skills necessary to attain their educational and personal goals. The LAC also provides students and tutors the opportunity to develop personally, professionally and educationally in an interactive learning environment, preparing them for leadership opportunities in college and beyond.