Music - MUSIC 171
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This course is an introduction to the fundamentals of music-making using computer hardware and software. The course will examine the basic functions of digital audio workstation (DAW) software as well as hardware and software synthesizers through hands-on experience and experimentation. The course will also introduce the student to current software applications that emphasize music performance and composition with the assistance of MIDI hardware and a desktop computer.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate the application of MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) and the data protocol transmitted via MIDI.
- Demonstrate the basic functions of a multitimbral synthesizer.
- Demonstrate the basic functions of an audio interface.
- Demonstrate the basic functions of a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software program.
- Demonstrate the function of digital audio in the context of DAW software.
- Create music using keyboard controllers and other MIDI devices.
- Create music using synthesizers and digital audio through the use of DAW software.
- Determine appropriate technology for specific musical needs.
- Resolve problems that arise in using music technology.
| ||171||141820||Music Technology 1||HYBMC||3||Minnick D||1/6/0||Open||$57.00||T 01:00 PM-02:20 PM WEBWEB
R 01:00 PM-02:20 PM F300
| ||171||111820||Music Technology 1||HYBMC||3||Minnick D||4/6/0||Open||$57.00||T 11:30 AM-12:50 PM WEBWEB
R 11:30 AM-12:50 PM F300
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday