Mathematics - MATH 105
Mathematics for Elementary Teachers 1
4 Credit Hours4 Lecture Hours
This is the first of a two-course sequence designed for students who plan to enter elementary school teaching. The course examines elementary school math topics and mathematics curriculum from an advanced standpoint with an emphasis on conceptual understanding and problem solving. The course covers problem solving, number theory, sets, algebraic concepts and functions, numeration, the real numbers and their properties and operations. This course requires all students must meet the requirements of a criminal background check.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- MATH 53 with a minimum grade of 2.5 or a minimum score of 19 ACT-Math, 25 SAT-Math, 100 CPT-Elementary Algebra, 270 NGA-Arithmetic or 250 NGA-Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Apply Polya's four-step plan in analyzing and solving problems.
- Demonstrate clear presentation of problem solving strategies to include the use of tables, charts, Venn diagrams and algebra.
- Compare inductive and deductive reasoning as related to logic, the foundation of the mathematics.
- Investigate special number patterns and sequences (to include arithmetic and geometric) and relate these number patterns to the study of functions.
- Apply concepts from elementary Number Theory, to include primes, composites, divisibility tests, greatest common factor and least common multiple.
- Apply concepts from set theory and set operations as the language and symbols of the mathematics.
- Investigate place value, base ten materials and other models for numeration systems.
- Model arithmetic operations using set or measurement models.
- Apply properties of real numbers.
- Explain arithmetic operations with a variety of paper and pencil algorithms to include mental math strategies (without the use of a calculator).
- Construct models for representing, operating with and solving problems involving fractions and decimals.
- Construct models for representing, operating with and solving problems involving percents and proportions.
| ||105||143087||Math Elem Teachers 1||RMT||4||Maddox A||2/24/0||Open||$12.00||T R 06:30 PM-08:24 PM WEBWEB
| ||105||113019||Math Elem Teachers 1||HYBMC||4||Roupas K||0/12/1||Closed||$12.00||M 04:00 PM-05:54 PM LA440
W 04:00 PM-05:54 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday