Health Information Technology - HIT 255
Health Information Technology Practicum
2 Credit Hours4 Laboratory Hours
This course emphasizes the application of health information theory and critical thinking skills necessary to perform advanced health information technology functions. Content includes the use of health information technology software applications for patient registration and scheduling, electronic health records (EHR), secondary data sources (i.e. master patient index, registries), release of information and data analysis. Current and emerging health information career opportunities will be explored. Students will create a personal resume to prepare for their job search. Health information technology skills will be performed both virtually and in a laboratory setting.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Use industry-specific software in the completion of HIM processes.
- Navigate electronic health records.
- Audit health record content for compliance with state and federal laws and accreditation and certification standards.
- Manage data for clinical indices/databases/registries, quality management, utilization management, risk management and other related studies.
- Disclose protected health information according to policies, procedures, regulations and standards.
- Maintain the accuracy and integrity of the primary and secondary health data according to applicable policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Explore national Health Information Exchange (HIE) initiatives.
- Explain trends in consumer informatics.
- Compile a professional practice reference manual to reflect the analysis of the health information management functions performed or observed.
- Create a personal resume for health information management employment purposes.
| ||255||247812||Hit Practium||HYBRC||2||Chapo P||0/12/0||Closed||$258.00||F 09:00 AM-10:54 AM RC465
F 11:00 AM-12:54 PM RC425
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday