Health Information Technology - HIT 232
Computer Applications in Healthcare
2 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours
This course is an introduction to the theory and practical methodology of healthcare information systems. Topics include basics of electronic health records (EHRs) and general healthcare computer systems. Common software applications, system selection and implementation, data quality, storage and retrieval, security and privacy are covered. Health information exchange and new roles in HIM will also be explored.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Protect data integrity and validity using software or hardware technology.
- Apply confidentiality, privacy and security measures to protect electronic health information.
- Explain policies and procedures of networks, including intranet and internet to facilitate clinical and administrative applications.
- Describe the process used in the selection and implementation of health information management systems and electronic health record applications.
- Explain usability and accessibility of health information to patients including current trends and future challenges.
- Explain current trends and future challenges in health information exchange.
- Apply current laws, accreditation, licensure and certification standards related to health information initiatives from the national, state, local and facility levels.
- Apply information and data strategies in support of information governance initiatives.
- Utilize enterprise-wide information assets in support of organizational strategies and objectives.
- Explain vendor/contract management.
- Apply knowledge of data base architecture and design.
| ||232||247270||Comp Appl Hlthcare||RMT||2||Chapo P||19/31/0||Open||$12.00||R 06:00 PM-07:54 PM WEBWEB
| ||232||217249||Comp Appl Hlthcare||RMT||2||Chapo P||15/24/0||Open||$12.00||R 01:00 PM-02:54 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday