Health Information Technology - HIT 222
3 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours2 Laboratory Hours
This course is designed to prepare a student to code in the ambulatory setting using Current Procedural Terminology (CPT). Topics include ambulatory reporting requirements for codes and rules that apply to the reimbursement systems used by government payers and other health plans. The student will be introduced to computerized coding systems utilized in healthcare. The emphasis of the course will be coding for facility services and procedures.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Interpret clinical documentation for procedural coding purposes.
- Assign procedure codes using CPT.
- Append CPT codes with correct modifiers.
- Assign HCPCS Level II codes.
- Use encoding software and electronic coding resources to support clinical classification and code assignment.
- Adhere to current regulations and established guidelines in code assignment.
- Identify discrepancies between coded data and supporting documentation.
- Explain the general principles and applications of procedural grouping (i.e. APC).
- Support accurate billing through coding, chargemaster, claims management and bill reconciliation processes.
| ||222||247210||Basic Ambulatory Coding||HYBRC||3||Harder C||0/12/0||Closed||$135.00||R 09:00 AM-12:54 PM WEBWEB
R 09:00 AM-12:54 PM RC415
| ||222||247258||Basic Ambulatory Coding||HYBRC||3||Harder C||0/12/0||Closed||$135.00||M 06:00 PM-08:54 PM WEBWEB
M 09:00 PM-09:54 PM RC425
| ||222||217252||Basic Ambulatory Coding||RC||3||Harder C||10/12/0||Open||$135.00||T 06:00 PM-07:54 PM RC465
T 08:00 PM-09:54 PM RC425
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday