Health Information Technology - HIT 130
Legal Aspects of Health Information
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This course provides the student with an understanding of the American legal system, legal terminology and the requirements concerning the compilation and maintenance of health information. Topics include how health information is used and when it can be disclosed based on state and federal regulations and statutes, including the privacy and security rules resulting from the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). The patient's right to privacy, patient consent and advance directives, retention directions, ethical issues in health care and health information management are also explored.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the workings of the American legal system, including court systems and legal procedures with which health professionals may be required to comply.
- Demonstrate how healthcare professionals can impact pending/existing legislation affecting health information practices.
- Apply healthcare legal terminology.
- Identify the use of legal documents such as court orders, subpoenas, advance directives and patient consent.
- Examine the principles of liability, the nature of the relationships from which liability can arise and the legal theories and defense in underlying lawsuits in healthcare.
- Adhere to the legal and regulatory requirements related to health information management.
- Identify a complete health record as defined by organizational policy and external regulations and standards.
- Apply policies and procedures for access and disclosure of protected health information.
- Release patient-specific data to authorized users.
- Analyze policies and procedures to ensure organizational compliance with regulations and standards.
- Apply confidentiality and security measures to protect health information regardless of medium.
- Apply retention and destruction policies for health information.
- Identify fraud and abuse trends in healthcare.
- Evaluate the consequences of a breach of privacy.
- Demonstrate presentation skills applicable to the healthcare environment.
| ||130||217212||Leg Aspec Hlth Info||RMT||3||Taylor K||12/24/0||Open||$12.00||R 12:30 PM-03:24 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday