Geography - GEOG 212
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This course is an introductory environmental science course with no prerequisites. The course offers an in-depth examination of a variety of local, regional and global environmental concerns. The course focuses on the effects that human societies have on the physical environment and the global biosphere. Topics include human population distribution, growth rates and population explosion, biodiversity and deforestation, erosion and contamination of soil resources, degradation of water resources, air pollution, conventional and alternative energy sources, global climate change and waste management.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Analyze the current environmental issues, such as human population growth, soil erosion, species extinction, global warming, air pollution and water pollution.
- Explain the complexity of the current environmental concerns.
- Explain the need for an interdisciplinary approach to the solution of these complex problems.
- Explain the difficulty in developing universally acceptable solutions to the existing problems.
- Construct a simple model and a more complex model of relationships among population, resource use, technology, environmental degradation and pollution.
- Integrate economics into the formulation of environmental policy.
- Evaluate the ecosystem approach and the species approach that can be used to preserve biodiversity.
- Summarize trends in global food production and food distribution.
- Analyze spatial data using geographic information system computer models.
- Evaluate the pros and cons of energy resources, including the use of fossil fuels, solar power, wind conversion energy, and biomass.
- Analyze demographic, economic, natural resource, and transportation data to recommend a sustainable development strategy for a country.
| ||212||142987||Environ Science||ONL||3||Devlin D||8/31/0||Open||$12.00||
| ||212||142993||Environ Science||ONL||3||Devlin D||5/31/0||Open||$12.00||
| ||212||142986||Environ Science||ONL||3||Devlin D||2/31/0||Open||$12.00||
| ||212||144704||Environ Science||RMT||3||Devlin D||2/24/0||Open||$12.00||M W 01:00 PM-02:26 PM WEBWEB
| ||212||144706||Environ Science||RMT||3||Zhou G||1/24/0||Open||$12.00||T 01:00 PM-03:52 PM WEBWEB
| ||212||114712||Environ Science||RMT||3||Zhou G||31/31/0||Open||$12.00||M W 11:00 AM-12:46 PM WEBWEB
| ||212||112915||Environ Science||ONL||3||Devlin D||31/31/0||Open||$12.00||
| ||212||114718||Environ Science||RMT||3||Zhou G||31/31/0||Open||$12.00||M W 01:00 PM-02:26 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday