English as a Second Language - ESL 67
4 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours1 Laboratory Hours
This course for English-language learners is the first in a guided series of ESL grammar and writing classes. The content of this course, taught in group and language lab settings, focuses on the understanding and use of basic grammatical concepts, in both oral and written forms, including the parts of speech, basic tenses and sentence patterns. Students will be able to develop simple paragraphs demonstrating basic structure and pre-writing techniques.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Placement is determined by test scores on the CPT Accuplacer English as a Second Language Test.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify parts of speech, including nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions and conjunctions.
- Utilize the present, past and future tense of the verb TO BE.
- Distinguish common verbs in present, past and future tense.
- Utilize imperatives.
- Utilize common count and non-count nouns.
- Formulate sentences with subject pronouns, object pronouns, possessive adjectives and possessive nouns.
- Formulate YES/NO and WH (who, what, why, where, which, when) questions.
- Compose simple descriptions and narrations about familiar topics.
- Create simple sentences with correct word order (S-O-V) and the verb "to be".
- Apply basic punctuation conventions indicating understanding of sentence boundaries.
- Utilize correct grammar in written communications.
- Generate basic paragraphs with proper format including topic sentence, body and conclusion.
| ||067||141717||Grammar Writing 1||RMT||4||Quan L||13/20/0||Open||$37.00||M 11:15 AM-12:09 PM WEBWEB
M 12:15 PM-01:16 PM WEBWEB
W 11:15 AM-01:16 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday