English as a Second Language - ESL 130
Capstone Course (3-1) 4 Cr. Hrs.
This capstone course for English-language learners will provide ESL students with support as they simultaneously take non-ESL college level classes. As the culmination of ESL studies, this course, taught in group and language lab settings, will reinforce the precise English skills required for college success, including writing with research, specialized vocabulary, reading strategies, pronunciation and test-taking techniques.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- ESL 110 with a minimum grade of 2.0, ESL 114 with a minimum grade of 2.0 and ESL 117 with a minimum grade of 2.0 or
- Placement is determined by test scores on the CPT Accuplacer English as a Second Language Test.
- Students also may be required to complete a speaking skills assessment.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Write an essay using primary and secondary research.
- Conduct dependable on-site, Internet and/or library research for college-level essay, paper or report.
- Evaluate research sources for authority, credibility and relevance.
- Integrate research into writing by summarizing, paraphrasing and quoting.
- Construct accurate entries for bibliographies and Works Cited lists.
- Analyze central point, major concepts and relevant details in college textbooks, essays or arguments.
- Express thoughts clearly in class or small group discussions on academic topics.
- Analyze various test-taking strategies.
- Differentiate between short-term, intermediate and long-term information processing (memory) strategies.
- Explain specialized academic vocabulary associated with specific fields of study.
- Evaluate personal communication barriers to success.
- Create a personal plan for college success.
- Utilize various note-taking strategies.
- Apply pronunciation techniques to speech.
| ||130||141737||Capstone Course|| ||4||Pak E||14/20/0||Open||$37.00||T 09:00 AM-11:01 AM MC030
R 09:00 AM-09:54 AM MC011
R 10:00 AM-11:01 AM MC030