English as a Second Language - ESL 84
4 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours1 Laboratory Hours
This course for English-language learners is the third in a guided series of ESL listening and speaking skills classes. The content of this course focuses on students' increasing proficiency as they learn to use informal versus academic vocabulary and grammar in appropriate context. They develop a more critical stance toward their own oral interactions and those of their classmates and apply evaluative criteria to individual and group presentations.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- ESL 74 with a minimum grade of 2.0 or
- Placement is determined by test scores on the CPT Accuplacer English as a Second Language Test.
- Students also may be required to complete a speaking skills assessment.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Express language functions with a minimum of pronunciation and vocabulary usage errors that impede understanding.
- Apply communicative language skills to cooperate with others in groups.
- Deliver presentations using an organized format on topics of general or academic interest.
- Incorporate feedback to revise presentations.
- Use formal grammar in speeches.
- Employ new course-related vocabulary in a variety of applications, including tests, presentations and group work.
- Demonstrate listening comprehension of formal and informal situations from authentic sources.
- Identify common idioms and formulaic expressions in spoken English.
- Evaluate oral presentations and discussions through questions, comments or summarizing ideas.
- Identify main ideas, key details and concepts in listening tasks and lectures on familiar topics using both verbal and written responses.
- Create an outline from notes that distinguishes between main ideas and supporting details of a short lecture.
- Demonstrate moderate control of suprasegmental intonation in speech.
| ||084||111724||Listen Speak 3||RMT||4||Pak E||12/20/0||Open||$37.00||R 12:00 PM-12:54 PM WEBWEB
R 01:00 PM-02:01 PM WEBWEB
T 12:00 PM-02:01 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday