English as a Second Language - ESL 78
English for Business Purposes (3-0) 3 Cr. Hrs.
This is an elective course for English-language learners which is designed for both pre-work and working ESL students who want to improve their communication in a professional setting. This course will focus on the cultural and professional aspects of American business interaction and help students develop some of the essential skills necessary for success. Using an integrative approach, business vocabulary, grammar and some pronunciation will also be included. Topics include interviewing, participating in a meeting and messaging. Special emphasis is placed on giving professional presentations.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- ESL 60 with a minimum grade of 3.0, ESL 64 with a minimum grade of 3.0 and ESL 67 with a minimum grade of 3.0 or
- Placement is determined by test scores on the CPT Accuplacer English as a Second Language Test.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Select appropriate responses (formal or informal) for use in various professional situations.
- Utilize specialized "business jargon” vocabulary.
- Explore cultural differences in the business world.
- Write various types of business correspondence.
- Respond correctly to a wide range of telephone messaging.
- Persuade an audience with an oral presentation.
- Develop effective visual aids to correspond with a presentation.
- Answer questions appropriately in an interview.
- Demonstrate how to agree, disagree and state opinions at meetings.
- Select appropriate grammatical tenses for written and verbal communication.
- Distinguish correct use of modals in various business situations.
- Identify correct word order for asking/answering questions.
- Demonstrate networking skills through conversation.
| ||078||141751||Eng Bus Purposes|| ||3||Bazzi L||22/23/0||Open||$37.00||R 06:00 PM-09:10 PM MC020