English as a Second Language - ESL 77
4 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours1 Laboratory Hours
This course for English-language learners is the second in a guided series of ESL grammar and writing classes. The content of this course, taught in group and language lab settings, focuses on developing basic English grammar and writing skills. Students will be able to write well developed paragraphs demonstrating the appropriate application of grammar rules.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- ESL 67 with a minimum grade of 2.0 or Placement is determined by test scores on the CPT Accuplacer English as a Second Language Test.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Construct complete sentences with proper sentence structure.
- Differentiate correct use of verb tenses in writing.
- Integrate correct grammar in written communications.
- Analyze text for accurate punctuation.
- Utilize appropriate parts of speech in written communication.
- Utilize correct punctuation in written communications.
- Utilize pre-writing techniques such as brainstorming, clustering or outlining to generate and organize ideas.
- Compose well-developed paragraphs with appropriate and adequate support in body.
- Create effective topic and concluding sentences.
- Edit writing for errors in usage, sentence structure, word choice and format.
- Revise paragraphs for coherence, accuracy and clarity.
- Employ basic vocabulary skills.
- Apply dictionary skills.
- Compose types of paragraphs including descriptive, compare-contrast and opinion.
- Differentiate simple, compound and complex sentences.
| ||077||141723||Grammar Writing 2||RMT||4||Fichtenberg C||12/20/0||Open||$37.00||T 11:15 AM-12:09 PM WEBWEB
T 12:15 PM-01:16 PM WEBWEB
R 11:15 AM-01:16 PM WEBWEB
| ||077||111722||Grammar Writing 2||MC||4||Lowell C||8/11/0||Open||$37.00||T 11:30 AM-12:24 PM MC020
T 12:30 PM-01:31 PM MC011
R 11:30 AM-01:31 PM MC020
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday