Emergency Medical Technology - EMT 290
Paramedic Field Internship
2 Credit Hours1 Lecture Hours20/40 Off-site Hours without Faculty
This final semester, formally known as the field internship, will serve as the capstone project for the paramedic program. During the capstone, the student will serve as a Team Leader. The Team Leader's responsibilities are delegated by direct observation and under the responsibility of an approved and trained preceptor who is appropriately licensed and credentialed to work in an approved EMS system. The student will be evaluated on his or her ability to perform skills as a competent entry-level paramedic. The capstone will serve as the final evaluation of the student prior to completion of the program and eligibility to take the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians-Paramedic credentialing exam. At the conclusion of the program, the expectation is the student will be prepared as a competent entry-level Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic in knowledge, skills and behavior.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- EMT 230 .
- Valid and current AHA Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers Certification.
- Valid and current AHA Advanced Life Support Provider Certification.
- Valid and current State of Michigan Basic EMT License.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Synthesize patient care that is compassionate, appropriate and effective for the treatment of sick and injured people.
- Apply knowledge of established standard operating guidelines and evolving emergency care concepts.
- Implement case-based learning that involves investigation and evaluation of their own patient care, appraisal and assimilation of scientific research and improvements in patient care.
- Utilize interpersonal communication skills that result in effective information exchange with patients, their families and other health care professionals.
- Demonstrate professionalism in carrying out responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles and sensitivity to a diverse patient population.
- Function as a competent entry-level care Paramedic.
- Provide emotional support for patients and families.
- Formulate an accurate field impression based on patient presentation.
- Implement the appropriate medical care based on a field impression.
- Implement a treatment plan for patients experiencing a critical illness or injury.
- Coordinate the transfer of patient care.
- Provide appropriate verbal and written documentation to the receiving medical team.
| ||290||245622||Para Field Intern||HYBRC||2||Cerroni A||10/20/0||Open||$12.00||F 09:00 AM-11:54 AM WEBWEB
| ||290||215622||Para Field Intern||RC||2||Cerroni A||24/24/0||Open||$12.00||F 09:00 AM-11:54 AM RC255
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday