Education - EDUC 250
Teaching Literacy in the Secondary School
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This course is designed to provide in-depth exploration of literacy instruction in the secondary classroom. Students will explore strategies for teaching literacy in the secondary content areas for all learners, including those from diverse backgrounds and ESL learners, as well as struggling readers and writers. Factors impacting and strategies for supporting secondary literacy instruction will be discussed and demonstrated. Current best practices in the field will be reviewed. Students will complete relevant fieldwork, which can be completed either in person or through video observations. This course requires all students must meet the requirements of a criminal background check.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Admission to the Alternative Route to Interim Teacher Certification Program.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Assess the importance of literacy instruction in secondary content area classrooms.
- Explain the relationship among literacy processes and practices in the content area classroom.
- Characterize key factors impacting literacy instruction in the secondary content areas.
- Summarize current best practices of secondary literacy instruction.
- Construct resources for supporting effective secondary literacy instruction.
- Identify strategies to meet the literacy needs of all secondary learners, including those from diverse backgrounds, special needs, struggling readers and writers and ESL learners.
- Demonstrate at least one specific strategy for teaching literacy in the secondary classroom.
- Develop an effective lesson plan for teaching literacy in a secondary content area.
- Present the secondary literacy lesson plan to peers.
- Explain the role of assessment in secondary literacy instruction.
- Distinguish assessment strategies for guiding secondary literacy instruction.
- Demonstrate uses of technology to support and enhance secondary literacy instruction and student learning.
- Analyze field experiences as related to best practices discussed in class.
| ||250||140571||Teach Lit Secondary||RMT||3||Hornbeck E||17/30/0||Open||$25.00||M 06:00 PM-08:54 PM WEBWEB
| ||250||110559||Teach Lit Secondary||RMT||3||Hornbeck E||26/30/0||Open||$25.00||M 06:00 PM-08:54 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday