Education - EDUC 230
Teaching Literacy in the Elementary Classroom 1
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This course will focus on the stages of literacy development, reading and writing processes and a comprehensive look at research based literacy instruction in the elementary classroom. Instructional strategies to teach word recognition, reading comprehension and process writing will be examined in depth. The use of standards-based lesson planning and both formal and informal assessment to promote effective instruction is also covered. Students will learn how to utilize technology in the classroom to enhance literacy instruction and how to implement a system of management for comprehensive balanced literacy instruction. Strategies to identify and assist struggling readers will be explored. Students will complete relevant fieldwork, which can be completed either in person or through video observations. This course requires all students must meet the requirements of a criminal background check.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Admission to the Alternative Route to Interim Teacher Certification Program.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the principles of effective and balanced literacy instruction.
- Summarize the stages of literacy development.
- Design effective standards-based literacy lesson plans.
- Utilize instructional strategies to teach reading and writing in grades K-8.
- Outline comprehensive beginning literacy instruction.
- Summarize effective decoding, vocabulary and comprehension instruction in the intermediate grades and middle school.
- Create teaching resources for literacy instruction.
- Justify the importance of teaching reading and writing together.
- Identify ways to differentiate instruction and support struggling readers.
- Design a system of organization for a literacy classroom.
- Outline the role of assessment and evaluation in literacy instruction.
- Integrate technology into instructional approaches.
| ||230||110558||Teach Lit Elem 1||RMT||3||Kilgore K||23/30/0||Open||$25.00||T 06:00 PM-08:54 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday