Education - EDUC 101
Introduction to Education
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This is an introductory course for prospective education majors, designed to explore the teaching profession. Students will gain insight into the practical elements of becoming an educator through an overview of the foundational philosophies of education, best practices, classroom management, education law and policies and trends. Students will be introduced to Michigan standards and requirements for teacher certification. Students will complete relevant fieldwork, which can be completed either in person or through video observations. This course requires all students must meet the requirements of a criminal background check.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Minimum score of 18 ACT-Reading, 25 SAT-Reading, 70 CPT-Reading Comprehension or 250 NGA-Reading.
- Minimum score of 18 ACT-English, 25 SAT-Writing and Language, 71 CPT-Sentence Skills or 250 NGA-Writing.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Examine the roles and responsibilities of effective teachers.
- Explain key philosophies and principles that guide effective teaching and learning.
- Examine the effects of governmental laws and policies that impact K-12 school systems.
- Explain what it means to "optimize" students' learning.
- Compare and contrast different types of assessment, both formative and summative.
- Develop a comprehensive lesson plan.
- Develop a classroom management plan.
- Demonstrate the use of technology to enhance learning.
- Explain the importance of collaboration as a professional educator.
- Document personal observations of classroom behavior and interactions of students and the classroom teacher.
| ||101||140561||Intro Education||RMT||3||Hill T||24/30/0||Open||$25.00||W 06:00 PM-08:54 PM WEBWEB
| ||101||140566||Intro Education||RMT||3||Priessler J||12/30/0||Open||$25.00||W 06:00 PM-08:54 PM WEBWEB
| ||101||140581||Intro Education||RMT||3||Sestak C||19/30/0||Open||$25.00||W 06:00 PM-08:54 PM WEBWEB
| ||101||110552||Intro Education||RMT||3||Priessler J||30/30/0||Open||$25.00||W 06:00 PM-08:54 PM WEBWEB
| ||101||110556||Intro Education||RMT||3||Hill T||28/30/0||Open||$25.00||W 06:00 PM-08:54 PM WEBWEB
| ||101||110578||Intro Education||RMT||3||Sestak C||17/30/0||Open||$25.00||W 06:00 PM-08:54 PM WEBWEB
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday